Friday, October 12, 2012

Review: The Fate of the Muse by Derrolyn Anderson

Title: The Fate of the Muse
Author: Derrolyn Anderson
Format: Ebook
Publisher: Self-published
Publish Date: September 16, 2011
Source: I received a copy from the author; however, this did not affect my review.






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a Young Adult fiction fan.
  • You like fantasy.
  • You like great writing.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Trouble is stalking Marina. She’s already escaped the clutches of her formidable foe once, but fate has even more trials in store for her. There are evil plans in the works– plans that threaten both her and her newly found family.

As she struggles to come to grips with her unwanted powers, outside forces threaten to tear Marina and Ethan apart, making her doubt their vision of an idyllic future together. Can first love be true love?"


My Two Cents:

I was so excited to get to this book and I'm even more excited This series continues to be oh so good! Anderson's writing is great and I love the way that she set up the book. There's a lot of action in the book but you feel like you are really getting a fuller story than just an arc surrounding one event. This is the kind of book that captivates you for hours. This is also the kind of book that makes me wish that my hour commute was just a little longer so I could read a little bit more. The detail is great. The characters continue to be great.

Anderson gives a nice recap of the previous book in the beginning of this book, which was a good reminder for me. Although you could probably still read this book and "get it" without reading the first two books, you really should read the first two books in the series because they are really, really good as well.

Marina is just recovering from her kidnapping ordeal that occurred in the second book of the series. She's also uncovering more about the plot she found out about in the second book. The stakes are even higher now. I don't want to give too much away. Just know that the secrets, twists, and turns make this book so much fun. There are new villains in the book

The characters continue to be really well written. One of the things that I love most about these books is that the characters feel really real. They all have different feelings and things going on. Anderson does a good job of creating a unique voice for each character, which could be very difficult in a story where there are a lot of different characters.

There was only one minor thing that sort of bothered me and that's Marina and Ethan's relationship. One minute, they're promising really big things to each other and the next second, they're fussing with each other. I think they're a serious couple but not serious enough to be making some of the choices that they're making, especially at such a young age. This is mature, motherly adult me speaking, young whippersnappers. On the other hand, teenage me remembers that sort of dumb decisions you make with your first love so I kind of understand it, I suppose. Eventually you wise up and I hope that happens to Marina and Ethan before they do something that they regret in the future. Entanglements make life really hard.

Bottom line: A great continuation of a good story!


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...